Connect with us
Avatar

Published

on

The city of Baltimore is permanently ending the prosecution of crimes described as low-level and nonviolent, including prostitution and drug possession.

Officials late last week said the adoption comes after a one-year period of trying the criminal justice approach, which they said was successful, as crimes across the board decreased.

“Clearly the data suggests that there is no public safety value in prosecuting these low-level offenses,” Marilyn Mosby, a Democrat who serves as the State’s Attorney for Baltimore, told reporters at a press conference.

Not prosecuting offenses such as trespassing, urinating in public, and drug possession will allow prosecutors to focus on more serious crimes as courts reopen from closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Mosby said.

“I want my prosecutors working with the police to focus on violent offenses like armed robbery, carjackings, and, yes, drug dealing and distribution organizations that are the underbelly of the violence in Baltimore, not using valuable jury trial time on those that suffer from addiction,” she said.

“America’s failed war on drugs and drug users in the city of Baltimore is over.”

Mosby initially stopped prosecuting lower-level crimes such as trespassing and some traffic offenses in March 2020. At the time, she said the measure was one way to try to prevent COVID-19 outbreaks in prison, through decreasing prisoner density.

Since then, the overall population of prisoners in Baltimore is down 18 percent, while Baltimore experienced a reduction in crime in many areas, such as a 20 percent drop in violent crime and a 36 percent decrease in property crime, according to data from the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

Unlike most cities in America, Baltimore recorded a decrease in homicides in 2020.

Susan Sherman, a Johns Hopkins University professor, said the policy change is “making a positive impact on communities,” based on a lower number of 911 calls for the crimes Mosby is no longer prosecuting and a low recidivism rate for those who saw their warrants dismissed under the policy last year.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Follow us on Parler For Uncut Raw uncensored content!

The permanent changes drew support from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and local officials.

“Reimagining public safety in Baltimore requires innovation and collaborative effort. I applaud State’s Attorney Mosby’s Office for working with partners to stem violence in Baltimore and ensure residents have the adequate support services they deserve,” Mayor Brandon Scott, a Democrat, said in a statement.

Police Commissioner Michael Harrison also signaled his backing.

“We are perfectly aligned with the mayor’s office in the police department that we’re focused on violent crime,” he told reporters during a separate briefing with Scott.

The officials said they’ve seen a spike in some crimes in the city in recent weeks, including a 31 percent increase in violent crimes related to domestic violence since the beginning of the year. Baltimore, which has struggled for decades with heightened violence, also saw 8 shootings in the 24 hours leading up to the press conference.

“There are too many people getting shot on the streets of Baltimore city, and we have to push harder on that,” Scott said.

The Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3, a police union, said in a City Council meeting that the new prosecution policies appear to allow people to trespass at Camden Yards, City Hall, and Mosby’s own office “with impunity,” as well as openly use drugs.

“What’s next?” the union wrote in a tweet on March 27.

State Sen. Robert Cassilly, a Republican, also took issue with the changes.

“Prosecutors take an oath to uphold the constitution in the state of Maryland and the constitution says the general assembly sets the policy, not the prosecutors,” he told Fox 45. “I respect the whole prosecutorial discretion. That’s not prosecutorial discretion, that’s an exercise in legislating. That’s what the legislature is supposed to do.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Courts & Law

Minneapolis to pay $27 million to settle George Floyd’s family lawsuit over death

Avatar

Published

on

The city of Minneapolis on Friday reached a $27 million settlement with the family of George Floyd over his death while in police custody, as jury selection for a related trial entered its fourth day.  

Floyd’s family filed a 40-page civil action suit against the city last July, claiming a wrongful death in what they described as “unjustified, excessive, and illegal, and deadly use of force.” Floyd died after being arrested May 25, 2020, by Minneapolis police.

Part of the settlement includes a $500,000 contribution from Floyd’s family to the community area now known as “George Floyd Square,” where Floyd died, according to NBC

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow us on Parler For Uncut Raw uncensored content!

.

“The city needs to exhibit responsible leadership in the face of the horrific tragedy that really was a watershed moment for America,” said Benjamin Crump, an attorney representing Floyd’s family.

The news of the settlement comes after a Minnesota judge ruled on Thursday to reinstate a third-degree murder charge against former officer Derek Chauvin. Jury selection in Chauvin’s trial started Tuesday. Opening argument are set to begin March 29.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Most Popular

Copyright © 2020 King Trump Fovever.